Saturday, September 1, 2012

Character Education: Character Words Posters

This year, as the Academic Dean of Students, I will be responsible for supporting teachers with classroom management and managing the overall school climate. Some ways I will be supporting teachers will be by providing push-in character education classes, presenting mini PD's on strategies and tools that can be used to support behavior management and managing the overall school-wide PBS program (Positive Behavior Support). As I prepare for the school year I have been reading tons of books and of course conducting "pinterest research". I have come across many great ideas that I will be using in my room (not really a classroom, not quite an office). I am also looking forward to sharing my resources (both borrowed and created by me) with you! My first resource of the school year is my Character Words Poster set. I will be using these posters on my bulletin board (pictures coming soon). I will also refer to these posters when teaching character education. The character traits that I emphasize are:

RESPECT: 
Treat others with respect. Be accepting of of differences. Use good manners, not bad language. Be considerate of the feelings of others. Don’t threaten, hit or hurt anyone. Deal peacefully with anger, insults and disagreement. 

CARING: 


Be kind. Be compassionate and show you care. Express gratitude. Forgive others. Help people in need.

RESPONSIBILITY:

Do what your supposed to do. Plan ahead. Persevere. Keep trying! Always do your best. Use self control. Be self-disciplined. Think before you act. Consider the consequences. Be accountable for your words, actions and attitudes. Set a

good example for others. 

FAIRNESS: 
Play by the rules. Take turns and share. Be open-minded. Listen to others. Don’t take advantage of others. Don’t blame others carelessly. Treat all people fairly.

TRUSTWORTHINESS: 
Play by the rules. Take turns and share. Be open-minded. Listen to others. Don’t take advantage of others. Don’t blame others carelessly. Treat all people fairly.

CITIZENSHIP:
Do you share? Try to make your school and community better. Cooperate. Get involved in community affairs. Stay informed. Vote. Be a good neighbor.

As the school year progresses, I will be posting lessons and resources that I use based on these traits. Feel free to download them and/or use them to develop your own resources. Also, you are always welcomed to share any links to your favorite resources in the comments. 

To download my Character Words Posters, click here.

Enjoy : ) 



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these. One of the components of our evaluation system is Respectful Culture. This is a great resource for my teachers who are struggling with that. I hope you have a fantastic year in your new position.

    Jana
    Thinking Out Loud

    ReplyDelete